Saturday, April 19, 2008

My mom is about to have another heart attack...

I started to eat one of nanna's pills!!! Every night I go and snuggle up to my nanna for about 45 minutes or so before bedtime. Tonight mom got me and thought I was chewing on something but she couldn't see anything. She took me into nanna and it still looked like I had something in my mouth so she picked me up and oh boy.... she found a capsule!! She started to freak out and grabbed it and it spilled out on her hand and nanna's rug and then on nanna's hand. Mom looked in my mouth and it looked like nothing was in it. Now she doesn't know what to do because she doesn't think I got any in my mouth. She has seen me fuss with a capsule before and how long it takes to get something out of it when I was taking my own anti-biotics. The capsule gets gummy and it just sticks in my mouth. She ran into the other room fearing that there would be a bunch of capsules on the floor because she couldn't figure out where the heck I got one from. It turned out nanna had her pills ready for tomorrow in a little container called a dosset and somehow I managed to flip the lid on it. There were no other pills missing. Just one.

Anyway, mom called the emergency clinic at 980 Yonge Street in Toronto and they gave her the number of the PET POISON CONTROL at 1-800-548-2423. A very nice Vet came on the phone and mom told her what happened and that the pill was Celebrex for nanna's arthritis. The Vet asked mom to tell her the strength of the pill. They do give celebrex to doggies but it's a doggie type, not a human type. The vet was very kind and told mom that it sounded like I didn't get any of it (due to how much fell onto mom's hand and the carpet) but because I'm a small dog I needed to be watched for 36 HOURS! Yes.... 36 hours because Celebrex can lead to ulcers in my little tummy. So mom and nanna have to watch for me not eating, or throwing up, or drooling or any changes in the next 36 hours.

So everyone, please be so very careful of your medications. They can make us very, very sick. Always know what medications you have, and how many, and the strength. And keep the phone number for the PET POISON CONTROL at 1-800-548-2423 in your phone book for safe keeping. Needless to say, medications are going elsewhere in our home. I'm too sneaky and getting way too creative when it comes to getting nosey.

2 comments:

Molly the Airedale said...

Our paws will be crossed for the next 36 hours, Christaligia! One of mom's biggest fears is one of us getting ahold of one of dad's heart meds and now we find out that you swallowed a pill! This is scary!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Christaligia said...

It's very scary. I didn't swallow the pill though. Mom found it in my mouth and most of the stuff inside fell into mom's hand and on nanna's rug. They are both hoping that I got none of the stuff inside. Mom was up most the night worrying about me and getting up and waking me up to check on me. Today I am ok so we are sticking to our plans and going out. It's been 12 hours and so far so good. My mom has heart meds too but she keeps hers up and out of the way.